Stepping up to the tee

Emma Arnold, Sports Writer

The Xavier Girls Golf team has been working hard to prepare for the upcoming season. As the weather turns nice, the team is ready to take on their goals for this season. With no seniors this year, two juniors have a special season coming up. Kyla Johnson and Casey Gannon are the only returning juniors from last season and have certain goals they want to accomplish. “Some goals for this season include making it to state since we were only a few strokes off last season,” Gannonsaid. “Another personal goal would be to make the second team this year since I was honorable mention last year.” Gannon and Johnson stepped up this year by taking one leadership roles, whether that be helping underclassmen through their first practices or assisting Xavier Girls Golf Coach Kadlec. With every practice they continue to help the underclassmen and new golfers through their first season. “So far this season Casey and I have stepped into the role of planning for the season in regards to picking out uniforms and team shirts, something a senior leader usually gets the opportunity for,” Johnson said. For every team, there are struggles. For the girl golfers, it will be making sure they practice the right way to help them prepare for the different courses they will be taking on. Patrick Flanagan, Assistant Girls Golf Coach, has been working to make sure the team is prepared for what the season brings. “Every team wants to go to state, no doubt about it. Our goal is to make sure we set ourselves up to be a state qualifying team by working not only more than other teams, but smarter than other teams,” Flanagan said. “Making sure every golfer is ready to play their best golf when it matters most.” Having no seniors is not a problem for this team. Juniors stepping up has helped the new golfers on the team. The team has fun in practices while working hard, giving them the opportunity to do big things this upcoming season. Meera Julka, a sophomore who went to state last season, comments on this year’s season so far. “The first couple of practices have sort of been a warm up for everybody and we all are getting back into the swing of things,” Julka said. The team finished fourth in districts the previous season and are looking to place higher this year. The Saints are motivated to come out on top while having each other’s backs. The Saints had their first meet on April 5 at Pleasant Valley Golf course at 3 P.M.