Remembering her

LuciAnne Nguyen, Assistant News Editor

Joan of Arc. Amelia Earhart. Harriet Tubman. Malala Yousafzai. These women have set new precedents in their time periods, creating history and leading others to do the same. March is designated as Women’s History Month. It is a time to dedicate to the contributions made by women in the United States and the world. In 1978, it started as a local celebration called “Women’s History Week” in Santa Rosa, California, led by Gerda Lerner. The following year, the movement expanded, spreading through many communities in the United States. After many pushes from women’s groups and historians, in February of 1980, President Jimmy Carter declared the week of March 8 to be National Women’s History Week. Then, ever since 1995, several other presidents have created national proclamations to designate March as “Women’s History Month.” This eventually spread internationally to countries such as Germany, Saudi Arabia, Japan, Russia and countless others. According to the National Women’s History Alliance, this year’s theme is “Providing Healing, Promoting Hope,” to recognize frontline workers and caregivers who have worked tirelessly, as well as acknowledge the “thousands of ways that women of all cultures have provided both healing and hope throughout history.” In our local community, the Cedar Rapids Public Library is celebrating Women’s History Month by curating a list of books from notable female authors. According to the Cedar Rapids Public Library, Librarian Heather Meyer-Boothby has been the one creating these book lists and she gives her insight on how she did so. “I picked voices that I felt have had a profound cultural impact on women’s lives. I did not reach back into classics so much but listed modern feminists texts. There are several approaches, I think, to women’s history, but I chose the intersectional feminist path,” Meyer-Boothby said. Additionally, the African American Museum of Iowa has partnered with the Cedar Rapids Metro High School to decorate the museum’s doors to celebrate black women. Many high school students have taken inspiration from women like Michelle Obama and Rosa Parks, being honored by the African American Museum as well as other important women in their lives such as grandmothers and elementary school principals. The push for women’s rights is something that some say needs to be looked at with more urgency throughout the world. Junior Allie McPherson gives her insight on why one should stand up for the rights of women. “They gave us our wisdom. They are the ones we turn to for advice. Women deserve a place to speak,” McPherson said. Even though Women’s History Month is only in March, it is important to always thank the women in our lives. Go out and thank the mothers, sisters, daughters, grandmothers and aunts, who shape and form the lives of so many.