Bigger than the picture

Emma Arnold, Sports Writer

Bobby Knight, a former basketball coach once said, “The key is not the will to win. Everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important.” Xavier’s Bowling Team will attend the state tournament on February 22 in class 3A. They have a record of 4-6 and have two upcoming matches before state. The state qualifying meet was on February 15. Nothing will compare to being a senior in high school taking on one’s last game, meet or performance. To represent Xavier High School one last time is a different feeling for seniors. For Xavier’s senior bowlers, it is all about getting reps in to bowl their best one last time. “I just think about how fast time flies and how I wish I could just have one more year,” senior Justin Trcka said. “It’s a whole new level of nervousness getting up on the approach while knowing that pretty soon, it will be the last time I ever will bowl at a high school level.” Trcka is one of three seniors on the bowling team. Preparing for state has consisted of getting more reps in to be more consistent in their bowls, focusing on the hard-to-get pins and squares instead of scores. “We are preparing for state by staying in the moment and getting ready for our state qualifier,” senior Justin Fulton said. Like every sport, there are ups and downs but Xavier bowlers have not given up. They focus on what is next and how they can improve to be better. Russ Camacho, Head Coach of Boys Bowling, has been excited for the 2021-2022 season and is excited to see what state will bring them. The team has shown hard work throughout the season and it has been paying off. “We have been preparing for the state qualifying bowler tournament the same as we do every year,” Camacho said. “We focus during practice on getting better and working on fundamentals.” For the girls bowling team, sophomore Miranda Nolte has stepped up for the Saints, creating a huge impact towards the team. This season has been a year of improvement and coming together as a team. It is the little things like grouping together to say a prayer that makes the Saints a team. “I have been trying more and giving everything I have to do better and it has been paying and it has improved my confidence,” Nolte said. Continue to show support for your Xavier bowlers as they take on the last few steps of the season. State will be held on February 21-23 in Waterloo with the team tournament being held at Cadillac XBC and the individual tournament at Maple Lanes.