Amazon hierarchy

Mary Clare Bean, Opinion Editor

Just like anything else in the United States’ economy right now, Amazon’s inflation price rate is the highest it has been in months. This not only affects the Amazon consumers, but it affects almost every other store in the country. There is something called the ‘Amazon Effect’, which was named by economists to describes the downward pricing pressure. This way, stores like Walmart and Target can match or even beat the prices of the same products that Amazon has. In short, Amazon raising their prices results in higher prices all across the board. Some Xavier students, such as Ethan Walz, have noticed this effect with the prices of Legos on Amazon. “I have a bunch of LEGO sets that are usually all around the same price. Now, with the prices higher, I am thinking that I do not want to spend more money than I have to, just so I can put the sets together in my free time,” Walz said. According to Brick Fanatics, some of the original list of StoneWars LEGO sets have increased tremendously. Some sets have an increase of 5%-20%. The LEGO Group has announced that the price of certain sets will ‘either go down or up’. This affects people, like Walz, who just want to complete a LEGO set without having to worry about picking out the cheaper and not as interesting set. We all know that there is a price for everything and most of the time we are okay with that. however, when there is a possible increase of 20%, that is when we start to get annoyed. Even when our go-to source, like Amazon, raises their prices, so does everyone else. When that domino effect happens, there is really no place to find a cheap LEGO set. Along with the supply chain problem, it makes it even more difficult for people to enjoy their LEGOs. Post-holiday life could be a reason for this but also the current economy that is controlled by the government. Not every kid can understand the reasoning behind the delay of shipping and the higher prices, which makes them more upset when their LEGOs do not arrive when they want them to. The higher prices are not just affecting the older generation. It makes it hard for the younger generation to enjoy the things they love doing as well.