Black History Month in action

Natalie Selensky, News Writer

According to many, there is not one time of year where Black history should not be celebrated and recognized, with many saying Black history has structured the foundation of the United States. However, the country sets aside one month to celebrate Black history. February is nationally recognizedasBlackHistoryMonth, which is a time to honor the steps African Americans in the past have taken in order to achieve many things today. Their sacrifices and steps for a more equal world are appreciated by many. African American heritage and adversities that were overcome are celebrated during the month as well. Black History Month is celebrated in February because Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass’ birthdays fall in the month. Lincoln, who stood for the emancipation of slaves, and Douglass, a former slave who escaped and was later a leader in the abolitionist movement, are both prominent figures and historical leaders that people look up to today. Sara Clarke Kaplan, Antiracist Research & Policy Center’s executive director at American University in Washington D.C., commented on importance of black history month and how the Black experience is embedded in everything people think of in American history. “There is no American history without African American history,” Kaplan said. Closer to home, Xavier High School is making efforts to recognize Black History Month. Currently, there is a wall of Black Saints on display in the hallway, showcasing their achievements, history and background. Black students at Xavier hope to see more recognition of Black History Month throughout these weeks. “It is important that Xavier has started to celebrate Black History Month more. The wall of Black saints is a really good start in celebrating all the important accomplishments that Black people have done. I cannot wait to see what else we decide to do to celebrate Black History,” senior Ava Challenger said. Events in Cedar Rapids are being held to also recognize and celebrate BlackHistoryMonth.OnFebruary 9 and 17, the African American Museum of Iowa are hosting special exhibits which focus on the fight for equal rights in history, specifically Iowa’s civil rights, all free of cost. For many, Black heritage and history are important and are credited for many things in the United States. To further celebrate the month and to learn more about Black history, visit blackhistorymonth.gov for education, events and more.