Remembering the insurrection

Rioters storm the U.S. Capitol Building in Washington DC on January 6, 2021 in protest of the election results. Bing Images.

Victoria Gomez, News Writer

Glass shattering, pepper spray and guns. This is not the plot of a new horror movie, as it may sound like. Rather, it is history. On January 6, 2021, the United States Congress was counting and finalizing the votes from the 2020 presidential election between former President Donald Trump and current President Joe Biden. What started as a peaceful protest turned violent. In a matter of minutes, Trump supporters were getting past police officers who were stationed at the steps of the Capitol, breaking down windows and entering the building. At the same time, members of Congress were being escorted out by police, trying to avoid any contact with the rioters. Around 4 p.m., Trump released a video telling rioters to go home and eventually the rioters dispersed from the Capitol. This year, in the spirit of remembrance and growth, the White House held a January 6 insurrection anniversary event. This gave President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris and others a platform to speak their minds with a large audience watching from home. After giving her speech, Harris received backlash for comparing Pearl Harbor and 9/11 to the Capitol Riot as moments that the audience will remember for the rest of their life. Next, it was Biden’s turn to talk to the people of America. In his speech Biden discussed many topics, one of them being President Trump. “A former president of the United States of America has created and spread a web of lies about the 2020 election. He has done so because he values power over principle. He can not accept he lost,” Biden said. Lawmakers and congressmen also had the opportunity to share what it was like to be in the House of Chambers while rioters were on the other side of the door, uncertain of what was going to happen in the next minutes. The government estimates that 2,500 people could be charged with crimes regarding the riot, six of those being local Iowans. An Iowan man by the name of Daryl Johnson and his son Daniel Johnson, who now lives in Minnesota, plead guilty to one charge of civil disorder. Both parties admitted to entering the Capitol through a broken window and fighting police so they could get further. They are facing five years in prison and a charge of $250,000 each. Jacob Chansley, one of the most photographed rioters, was dressed with buffalo horns, as well as red, white and blue face paint. Chansley has already gone to trial and received 41 months in prison. Lawyers will continue to make their way through the thousands of cases tied to the event. This event is seen by some as a direct threat to democracy. Others say the rioters are great patriots. Xavier High School junior Alicia Mutasingwa had some thoughts when asked how the U.S. can grow from this event. “I think the U.S. can take the time tolisten,acknowledgetheirmistakes and make active efforts to improve for the better,” Mutasingwa said. In the future, people are encouraged to stay informed, take needed time to reflect and identify areas where the United States can improve and grow.