In the fast lane

Seth Williams, Assistant Sport Editor

The change of the seasons brings many things, including new high school sports’ seasons. Xavier High School’s bowling teams returned to practice on Monday, November 8. The boys bowling team is looking forward to the opportunity to return to the state meet, where they placed third last year. Senior Justin Fulton is confident that the Saints can return to the state meet and perform well. “I believe that we can get back to and if not improve where we ended as a team last year,” Fulton said. “My individual goal for the season is to be top 30 in the state.” The Saints are led by Coach Russ Camacho, who started the bowling program at Xavier 20 years ago. Three of the six returning scorers for last year’s team are returning, including Fulton. Coach Camacho will be looking for some new faces to step up in the seniors’ places. “I am looking forward to some good competition to fill the 3 spots open due to graduation. This early in theseason the main people to fill those spots are some of the guys that competed a lot at the JV level,” Coach Camacho said. “Most years we have some guys step up, so the line up we have at the state qualifying meet in February could be different that what we start the season with.” Along with the boys team, the girls team is preparing for their season as well. The girls team is also coached by Camacho and they are setting their sights on qualifying for the state meet. Junior Evelyn Howard is hoping to lead the team and cannot wait for the season to start. “This will be my second year on the team…this year I am excited to become closer as a team and make it to state,” Howard said. “Coach Camacho motivates all of us at practice… my personal goal for this season is to bowl above a 200.” Look out for both teams as they open their season on November 30 and try to compete at the state level.