A change for better or worse

Shane Pins, Opinion Writer

Technology has changed significantly over the past decades and and especially in the past few years. This change may be considered either depending what’s good or bad by many, and shows improvement for newer generations and today’s students. Technology makes researching, communication, studying, cooking, organizing and many more things very easy. Today, we don’t have to go to the library to find a book and read it there; we can buy it on our devices and have it mobile and portable. Spanish teacher, Mrs. Hoffman, “I knew the world before technology, we didn’t even think about it, we had to boil water in our pan, not in the microwave. Today you miss supper, so you warm up your leftovers in the microwave. But we would have to heat up our leftovers or any food in the pan,” Hoffman said. Today in the modern world, if we are lucky, we don’t have to wait for the pan to heat up, and clean up the pan after we use it. We can just plop whatever we need in the microwave, wait little to no time and it’s heated up. It’s more efficient this way and a big time saver. Hoffman, like many others, has first-hand seen the change that technology has made. “I was in Mexico in an orphanage for a couple of years, I came back at age 24, and my 9 year old brother told me we have a VHS machine, and now we can watch movies!” Hoffman said. “It was a treat to call my grandparents on the phone because it was a long distance phone call and it was an expensive call. Phone was charged for long distance calls,” Some say technology is better now in modern times than it was back then in older generations. However, sometimes technology can act up, and not be as efficient as we would want it to be. We rely on technology so much in the world today. Technology is all around us and sometimes we don’t even notice it. Jacey Pirc, a junior at Xavier High School, said, “Technology has changed my life for sure, I don’t have to worry about losing homework or any important paperwork because I have the majority of my work on my iPad.” Pirc also stated, “I really love using technology for studying, like using Quizlet, and I also use it to get important information sent to me such as the lunch schedule, dress down days, and activities happening at school.” Lots of students, teenagers and young adults have grown up using technology. They have grown wired to using technology to make life easier, get information, play games and lots more. We rely way more on technology in the newer generations because we do not know anything else from it. Technology has definitely helped people for the better but some people just prefer non- related technology solutions. “I prefer pen and paper because I think when you read something off of an iPad, you read it faster and not thoroughly, compared to reading on paper, you can read more efficiently and you read more carefully and better and understand what you’ve just read and pertain that knowledge,” Hoffman said. Technology has been beneficial to everyone and has improved significantly, making our lives easier in a sense. But sometimes we can rely on it too much to a point were we don’t know how to solve problems. Most kids rely on Google or Safari for answers to their questions, pictures, study guidesm and lots more. But if technology stopped working, would people still know how to find answers and findings that they need? Technology has definitely changed for the better. We no longer have to research hours in the library, we can just do it from our home. We can research videos to help us with a class we are struggling with or download assignments. We don’t have to worry about losing our homework, because it’s saved on our devices. We have it so much easier now, we are very lucky to have these devices to help us with anything we want and every question we have. But if technology stopped working, would people still know how to find answers and findings that they need?