Connections on and off the court

Kyla Johnson, Sports Writer

The last sister duo for Xavier Volleyball was Charlotte Richards (X19) and Olivia Richards (X20). However, this year the Jonker sisters are bringing back this special dynamic to the team. Riley Jonker (X22) is playing her first year as a part of the Xavier Volleyball program. Riley transferred from Linn Mar High School to Xavier High School in the second semester of the past 2020-2021 school year as a junior. Alongside her, Carley Jonker (X25) is also playing her first season as a freshman on the varsity team. Riley is the starting setter for Xavier and is an important part of the team. Riley is very grateful to have the support of her sister to push and motivate her. “It’s been fun playing with Carley. Who knew we would ever get that chance? My mom reminds us all the time what a privilege this season is to have together,” Riley said. Carley Jonker has earned a spot on the varsity team as a freshman this year. Carley is a defensive specialist/libero for Xavier playing on both the varsity and junior varsity team. Carley currently has 63 digs this season. Being on varsity has been a goal of Carley’s and being alongside her sister makes this accomplishment even sweeter. “It’s great to play on the same court as Riley. It’s always been my dream to play on the varsity court. This year makes it even better [playing on varsity], especially since this is the only year it can happen because of our ages,” Carley said. As a freshman and senior, this is the last chance for these sisters to play together competitively. This sister volleyball duo and the chemistry that comes with it, goes back farther than just the court this year. “We’ve always played together in the backyard and hold each other to a higher standard on the court,” Carley said. Not only do the Jonker sisters push each other but they also give to their teammates in any way they can. Head Varsity Coach, Austin Filer, sees the talent and the chemistry the two can bring. “I think Riley and Carley treat one another as teammates when they are on the court. I think they both have high expectations of one another as sisters and put is a tremendous competitor and demands the best out of both herself and teammates at all times. Carley is a quiet leader that leads by action, she never takes a play off, and her fierce ability to compete is infectious to our team,” Filer said. As the season is creeping to an end, Riley has a special goal she hopes to achieve with her sister. “I hope my sister is a state champion this year, because that means I would be one too. That’s the ultimate goal,” Riley said. The Varsity girls won the MVC Championship on October 6 against Dubuque Hempstead (3-0). If the Xavier girls volleyball team advances in their first round at regionals, they will play again on Thursday October 21, time and location are to be determined.