Peters learns importance of dedication

KJ Giles, Sports Co-Editor

Senior Nic Peters needed a ride home from school his freshman year, so he joined the bowling team.
“I was initially only bowling because my brother was my ride home,” Peter said. “It would have been hard for me to get home if I didn’t join the team. I kept with the team after he left for college because I love bowling, and I love seeing my score improve with the help of the coaches.”
It is a good thing Peters’ brother was his ride home, because of the life lessons he has learned from bowling.
“The biggest lesson I have learned is, if you are forced into a position you don’t want to be in, make the most of it,” Peters said. “You may find out that it isn’t so bad after all.”
Although the season has not gone the way the Saints had hoped thus far, Peters still manages to make it a memorable experience.
“My favorite memory has to be after the boys’ varsity squad won their first meet after losing the first seven in a row,” Peters said. “I was getting into my car to head home when (juniors) Jackson Schuster and Jeremy Kane ran up behind my car and started celebrating so I couldn’t get out. I then started blaring ‘All I do is Win’. Coach Camacho was leaving just as we were doing that. He just smiled, shook his head, and continued walking to his car. That was a lot of fun.”
As the lone senior on the team, Nic has stepped into a leadership role, despite what he thinks.
“I don’t see myself as a leader, but more as a team friend,” Peters said.
Other team members feel differently about Peters’ leadership abilities.
“Nic has taught me that it is all about being positive,” Schuster said. “Nic never gets disappointed in himself. Once you get down in bowling, you bowl even worse. Nic has taught me to approach every shot with a smile on my face.”
No matter how the season turns out for Peters, he will always remember a quote he heard from Coach Camacho.
“It’s possible to have fun and be focused on getting better at the same time.”
Peters is hoping to continue to improve his bowling game throughout his senior bowling season, while also making memories along the way.