Kill with kindness

Mary Clare Bean, Opinion Editor

Why are people kind to rude people? We have all heard the phrase ‘kill them with kindness’ but why do we actively choose to carry it out? Why would we go out of our way to be nice to someone who goes out of their way to be mean? From what I have learned over the years, the people who are overly rude have an absence of kindness and happiness from their life. Those people do not receive the level or amount of love, compliments, or care from people close to them. If they don’t receive it, why spread it? Being nice to someone that has a history of being rude to you is hard…but not impossible. All it takes is a quick smile and wave while you are passing them in the hall. There is so much darkness and hate in the world, especially in high school. We need people to be a beacon of light and happiness to whoever they see. Almost everyone is focused on the bad; it’s all we see and hear. We need to spread more positivity and happiness, even if it is to a person who is notorious for being mean. Being kind is more difficult than coming up with insults, judgements or rumors. We just need to put more effort into making the life and people around us a positive place, step by step. Let your ego and guard down and spread a little positivity to anyone and everyone.