“Newsies” takes the stage

Isabella Anderson, A&E Writer

The cast of the 1992 Disney movie Newsies. Bing Images.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! This fall’s musical, “Newsies,” is here to seize the day. The Drama Department director, Mr. Mike Cervantes, is returning again to direct another fall musical, with the assistance of choir director Mr. Phil Schroetter. Cervantes expressed great enthusiasm over this year’s show. “I decided on ‘Newsies’ because a lot of students were planning on auditioning and we were lucky this year because we had a pretty good influx of guys coming in who all tried out,” Cervantes said. “It was great that so many people auditioned because there are big huge ensemble numbers where we’ll have nearly 60 people on stage which will fill the whole auditorium with sound.” “Newsies” takes place in 1890 and is based on a true story. In the 1890s, Joseph Pulitzer used to hire young boys and girls to deliver newspapers, who got paid almost nothing for it. Jack Kelly, the male lead of the show who will be played by senior Chase Ralston, leads a band of newspaper delivery boys called the “newsies” to go on strike against the newspaper with the help of young journalist Katherine Plumber, the female lead who will be played by senior Emily Armstrong. The leads expressed eagerness for the show as well. “I am kind of nervous because this will be my first big role in a musical,” Armstrong said. “Although, I am excited about working with the cast and seeing how it will all come together.” Ralston is also enthusiastic about being able to take the stage as Jack Kelly. “Jack Kelly has always been a dream role of mine so I am excited to put the show together on stage,” Ralston said. Cervantes is hoping for this show to be a big success, believing that both leads are perfect for their roles. He is planning to sell out all three nights and is looking to be able to have a fourth showing. “I think Newsies is going to be a rousing success,” Cervantes said. “This show is perfect because it is about teenagers making a difference in the world, which is really important, and I think it will really connect with students here.” With a 60 piece ensemble, extravagant set designs and an abundance of dance numbers, “Newsies” is a show worth checking out! Students can see “Newsies” on November 12, 13 and 14.