Love yourself this Valentine’s Day

Erin Foley, Opinion Co-Editor

This year, on February 14, I venture into new territory. I will be approaching this infamous day without a boy walking by my side. At first, I was anxious about how this day would unfold. I thought I would have nothing to look forward to. Who is going to buy me copious amounts of chocolate that will make the buttons on my jeans pop? Who will buy me flowers that will die in three days? Who will buy me a giant teddy bear that will eventually end up in the back of my closet? After asking myself these questions, it dawned on me. Valentine’s Day is the most overrated holiday of the year.
You may be thinking, “Erin, what will you be doing on Valentine’s Day all by your lonesome self?” That’s a great question, and let me tell you, I have a plan. I will be responsible for my own button popping with the help of a Zookie. I’ll be spending the night lovingly gazing into the eyes of the only consistent boy I have ever had in my life, my dog, Murphy. I will not be renting a tear-jerking movie, but rather, a horror movie because I enjoy them, and I don’t have to please anyone else. The possibilities are endless, all because I am single, and that’s just fine with me.
Make Valentine’s Day a day to celebrate yourself. Think of all the money you can spend on yourself rather than a significant other.
Girls, you don’t have to freeze in subzero temperatures in that dress you’ll probably only wear one time. Instead, you can wear mankind’s finest creation, sweatpants. Boys, think of the chick flick that you aren’t being forced to see and, therefore, not pretending to enjoy. If you look on the bright side of things, being single on Valentine’s Day really isn’t so bad after all.
So, if Cupid’s arrow missed you this year as it did me, don’t despair. February 14 is just another day, and it shouldn’t inflict fear into the hearts of those with no one by their side. There is no need to curse at the hearts and roses decorating storefronts that seem to taunt you. They will all be gone soon enough, just like most high school relationships. So, fellow singletons, claim this day as your own and, in the words of my dear friend, Justin Bieber, “love yourself”.