Trench coats trending

Hailey Justice, Opinion Writer

A new trend that is sweeping the halls of Xavier High School is a winter accessory that I never even considered wearing until this year. It is the almighty trench coat. I have fallen right into this trend, and it is my favorite by far. As I previously wrote in The Xpress, winter is not my favorite season by any means. I still live in Iowa, therefore, I have to adapt to the weather. My trusty trench coat, “trenchie” as I call it, is what gets me through these bitter cold days. Trenchie is the ultimate protector against the harsh, cold winter. It not only covers my upper body, but my lower body as well.
I never would have imagined that I would fall in love with a trench coat. For years, I have thought trench coats were only for moms, and how dare I ever be caught wearing a mom coat? What I realized is that being warm is cool, and if achieving warmth comes from wearing a mom coat, that mom coat is cool as well. When I finally gave in and bought a trench coat, I realized it may be one of the best purchases I’ve ever made.
There are many perks to owning a trench coat. One is the insulation. It is much different than a peacoat because the insulation keeps you much warmer. The next perk is the hood. It can have fur or no fur. I prefer no fur, but some people prefer fur as more of a stylish thing. It all depends on how you decide to wear your trench coat. Another perk is the pockets. On my trench coat, the pockets are lined with fleece. The goal of this is for warmth. I always know my coat has my best interest in mind. The most obvious perk is the length. The length can be a perk for many reasons. One reason is that it keeps so much more of your body warm.
Adapting to the cold had to be done. I admit that for a few years (recent years), I was “too cool” for a coat. I wish I could go back and yell at myself because there is nothing wrong with a coat. I’m so glad I have matured and realized that the trench coat life is for me and should be for everyone.
Hailey Justice
Opinion Writer