Six 3A teams remain unbeaten

KJ Giles, Sports Co-Editor

High school football in the state of Iowa is in full swing as teams battle it out on the field for the ultimate goal of a state championship. Six teams in Class 3A have unblemished records midway through the season: Glenwood, Independence, Pella, Webster City, West Delaware, and Xavier.
The Des Moines Register has fluctuated their rankings throughout the season but one team has stayed constant at number one: Pella. The Dutchmen remain unbeaten following their 2014 undefeated season and state championship. Pella hopes to reclaim the 3A crown behind a stingy defense and high powered offense. The Dutchmen have the best scoring defense in 3A, allowing only nine points per game. Senior dual threat quarterback Noah Clayberg is leading Pella’s offense accounting for almost 1500 all-purpose yards and 22 total touchdowns.
The West Delaware Hawks come in at the number two spot in this week’s rankings. The Hawks are flying high behind the number two scoring offense in 3A, averaging 41 points per game. West Delaware’s offense can strike quickly, with senior running back Coy Roussell averaging nine yards per carry this season. Roussell has 16 rushing touchdowns this season and senior quarterback Max Ridenour has added to the quick scoring offense with 15 touchdowns through the air.
Webster City comes into week 7 of the season ranked third in 3A after their 6-0 start. Senior quarterback Avery Fuhs has accounted for 10 total touchdowns in an offense that is averaging 39 points per game. The Lynx have the 16th best scoring defense in 3A so their high scoring offense is key to their success.
The Des Moines Register has Xavier ranked fourth in 3A. The Saints have stood behind their 3rd-ranked scoring defense for five straight wins to start the season. Efficient quarterback play by junior Bryce Schulte and powerful running by junior running back Maliki Wilson has allowed the Xavier offense to put up 31 points per game. Schulte has thrown 14 touchdowns and only one interception in the 2015 season. There is always an imminent deep threat in the Saints offense with senior receivers Nick Stark and Blake Whitten averaging 24 and 39 yards per catch, respectively.
Independence High School takes the final spot in the top five after six straight wins to start the season. Senior mobile quarterback Nicholas Holt has accounted for nearly 1900 yards of total offense and 24 touchdowns. His ability to throw and run have led the Independence offense to 32 points per game.
These top ranked teams look to add to their undefeated record during the second half of the high school season. The first round of Class 3A playoffs is Wednesday, October 28. The playoffs conclude with the state championship in the UNI Dome Wednesday, November 19.