Changes in the Vocal Music Department

Ally Burger, A&E Writer

This year, everything is different due to COVID-19. The way people complete tasks such as going to the store, playing sports and going to school has changed. At school, students are required to wear masks, use hand sanitizer and social distance. The virus has also made an impact on Xavier High School’s Vocal Music Department. The way choir concerts and show choir performances are performed will change. Not only does Xavier High School have new rules in place, but they also have a new choir director. 

Mr. Schroetter is the new choir director this year. Although he has a lot of obstacles to face this year, his experience with music and teaching will help the Vocal Music Department to succeed. 

“He went to Wartburg for a bachelor’s in music education, then he went to Boston University to receive his masters. He has taught for 14 years,” Xavier junior Trenton Link said. 

Just like the rest of the school, the choir members will be required to wear masks. Regular masks do not allow singers’ voices to perform as well. 

“We are getting new masks called singer’s masks. They allow us to fully open our mouths when we sing,” Lauren Holverson, a member of the choir, said. 

Schroetter also commented on the masks. 

“The new singing masks that we will be getting in choir will be super helpful for us because they will allow us to utilize our voices the correct way while also maintaining proper health guidelines,” Schroetter said. “I think that’s what pushed me to go with it. They are pretty comfortable and it will be an enhancement to learning, where we can still do what we are supposed to do.” 

Choir and show choir performances will likely both be on Zoom this year. 

“We are thinking we are going to do a Zoom call from the theater for our parents. We will be spaced apart as singers but the parents can be logged onto Zoom to watch us,” Holverson said. 

Choir members will not need to worry about muffling their voices because of the new masks they are getting.

Parents will still be able to enjoy the choir concerts and show choir performances. Despite the many obstacles the Vocal Music Department has to face this year, the new choir director hopes to overcome them and have a great year.