Districts’ success

Maddie Mautino, Sports Writer

Nothing is heard but the breezing of the wind and the echoes of the birds, silence. His club brushes against the grass as he’s pulling back the club, the swing of the club in the air can be heard, just like the hit of the ball and the snap of the tee. 

Many situations like the one just described were seen and heard at Xavier’s boys’ golf district competition.

Senior, and boys’ golf team captain, Matthew Schmitt, is someone who has been around for many clubs swinging through the air and digits made in the grass.

“Our district meet was at Elmcrest Country Club and it’s great because six out of our seven varsity players are members there,” Schmitt said. “We practiced and played there everyday in preparation for districts.” 

Sophomore Charlie Allen also talked about what he did to prepare himself for the success of the team at districts. 

“Personally, I prepared for districts by practicing by myself after practice making sure that I was where I wanted to be, whether that was through short game or accuracy off the tee,” Allen said. 

When it came to personal goals for districts, Schmitt saw big plans for himself and the team. 

“My goal at districts was to have the team shoot under 310, which helped us qualify for state,” Schmitt said.

Just as Schmitt, Allen aimed high for districts.

“My goal for districts was to play the best I could to help the team,” Allen said. “Myself and the team were able to meet this goal because we are a very solid team and if we play the way I knew we could.”

Allen, who was announced 2020 MVC Division “Player of the Year” earlier this season, talked about his emotions towards being honored with this title. 

“Winning player of the year had been something I’ve been working on since I got to Xavier and I’m very happy I was able to win it as a sophomore,” Allen said. 

The Xavier boys’ golf team shot 306 and placed second in their district meet on Monday, October 5. They will start state tournament play Friday, October 9 at Des Moines Country Club.