Respect Life Month begins

Respect Life Month begins

Gwen Cataldo, News Writer

October is known throughout the world as Respect Life Month. It honors life in all of its stages, from conception to natural death. Respect Life Month is observed by Catholics around the world. The theme for this year’s national Respect Life Program is “Every Life is Worth Living.” The program began on Respect Life Sunday, which annually falls on the first Sunday of October. Respect Life Month is an opportunity to focus on maintaining the sacredness of life around the world. Catholics can participate in many Respect Life activities throughout October, including Nine Days for Life, a time for prayer, penance, and pilgrimage that prepares for the anniversary of Roe v. Wade in January.
To kick off the month of October, Xavier students and faculty placed 400 crosses on the grounds of Xavier. These crosses are a symbol of the nearly 4,000 lives lost to abortion in the United States every day. Students and faculty are celebrating Respect Life Week during the week of October 12-16. Respect Life Week at Xavier includes Dress in Black Day, a day students can choose to dress in all black and not speak during the day. Dress in Black Day serves as a reminder that everyone should have a voice.
“I like participating in Dress in Black Day because it reminds myself and others about the lives that have been lost in this modern day genocide,” senior Jonathan Francois said. “When dressing in black, you are a witness for those who have no voice. It’s not only my duty as a Catholic but as a member of the human race to be a voice for those who are under the threat of being silenced.”
The week continues with different activities conducted each day to commemorate the sacredness of human life. Students are shown videos about the science behind different threats to human life in theology classes. Another activity involves writing compliments on clothespins, and distributing them around school. This serves as a reminder to students that all life should be appreciated. In addition, a Mass was held for an increase of respect for life during Xcel hour on Wednesday, October 14.
“The point of the activities we do throughout Respect Life Week is to create a way for students to feel involved with the movement,” senior Kayla Fuller said. “It is really amazing to see all the students and faculty come together for this movement by participating in the activities.”