Prioritize learning for fun

Emma Stadelmann, Opinion Writer

Growing up, I remember thinking that my dad was the smartest person ever. A few key pieces of evidence led me to this conclusion. His ability to pick out constellations in the sky and planets using his telescope astounded me. He decided to teach himself French. I found long and confusing books on his nightstand: things like “Paradise Lost” and “Anna Karenina”. It seemed like he was always finding a new way to challenge himself.

Remember in elementary school when you did crazy experiments, made terrible artwork and read before bed? Here’s a little secret: the coolest people are the ones who continue to test limits, create for the fun of it and read on their own time. I’m talking about lifelong learners, or the people who find genuine joy in thinking creatively and constantly acquiring new knowledge or skills. This is the admirable characteristic that I saw in my father and in the people that I find most interesting. They are not content with staying the same; they want to know more and do better. I began to idealize this lifestyle as soon as I processed it.

It’s sad how being “busy” can rearrange our priorities. For instance, I was a consistent reader from kindergarten to mid-sophomore year, but as soon as I felt overwhelmed by school, this habit was the first to go. Deadlines, grades and pressure can blind you to the things you care about doing on your own time, and it took a while for me to realize that personal learning is necessary to a fulfilling and balanced life. Learning on your own terms is what makes you who you are– everyone in your class learns Algebra at some point. Not everyone will spend their time studying another language independently, attempting complex recipes or teaching themselves JavaScript. My advice for high school students is to hold on to the enjoyment of learning as best you can. Grades and test scores are a priority, of course, but in my opinion, keeping the drive to continue learning after it is no longer obligatory is far more valuable.