Dear COVID-19

Haley Cummings, Student Life Editor

I, along with the rest of the class of 2020, are disheartened by your actions. You swept the world by storm, taking ‘lasts’ the senior class has waited 12 long school years to experience. I know it is not personal; I know God did not set out to spite the class of 2020, but some of us still wonder why. While you may have stolen our ‘lasts,’ you cannot steal the memories we have already made. 

You have tried to separate us with social distancing, yet, the world has come together. You cannot break the community that has spent so long building me into who I am. The Xavier community is strong. They have taught me how to be resilient, resourceful and how to respond to someone in need. While I may not be able to say goodbye in person, Xavier has come together and is doing their best to combat your criminal actions, COVID-19. They have given me as many lasts as they can and for that I am thankful. Xavier, thank you for your dedication and determination to overcome the challenges put in front of you. Thank you, for an amazing four years and for helping prepare the class of 2020 for whatever may come our way. 

Xavier instilled our faith for times of doubt, instilled our knowledge to help us make smart decisions, no matter the circumstances, and instilled our community to celebrate the good times and overcome the difficult. 

COVID-19, I know you didn’t mean to disrupt the final months of our senior year but I just wanted to let you know that even you cannot stop the proud and steadfast Saints from celebrating all the hard work that has gone into the last 12 years of our lives.

Sincerely,
Haley