Xavier teachers go #TheXtraMile

Hailey Justice, Opinion Writer

As I was sitting in Sacraments class, we were discussing the subject of sacramental people. Sacramentality is “making the invisible God visible in our world.” In being a sacramental person, you are a living sign of the invisible God and you are also able to recognize the signs of other sacramental people. We were challenged to think of ourselves, classmates, and the school as a whole. We were instructed to point out sacramental people and think about the impact these people have had on us. This made me think about the teachers at Xavier.

I know a lot of people dread coming to school most of the time. Sitting through lessons and notes isn’t everyone’s favorite thing to do. We tend to look past the reality of why the teachers at Xavier are here. The teachers are here to help us learn and be successful. For some of us, they are role models or someone we can turn to. I challenge you to think: is there a deeper meaning to the teachers at Xavier?

Each teacher I have had is a living example of faith. I have learned about faith from teachers outside of the Theology department. Xavier creates a community that is comfortable to talk about faith and share it with others. That is what Xavier is all about. The teachers are our biggest supporters in faith. They don’t just encourage us through campus ministry, religion class, Mass, reconciliation, and daily prayer. There is something that they do that is often overlooked This brings me back to the word sacramentality. The teachers at Xavier are sacramental people. Teachers are our living examples of faith. They care about us as students but they are also able to care about us as children of God. This means their ultimate goal is to bring us closer to God and get us to heaven. It is such an important selfless thing that the teachers want for us. That is often overlooked.

I admit I overlook this, until this year. The Theology discussion immediately made me think deeper into the subject.

Some of the teachers I have had at Xavier were clear examples of fulfilling God’s plan for them. It’s the little things like Mr. Goldsmith’s thought provoking morning prayers, Mrs. Wagner’s radiating faith and trust in God, Mrs. Esker’s listening ear and advice, and Coach Schulte stressing the importance of sending your kids to Catholic school. The compassion and faith they have for their students is a sign of God’s love. The way they teach at a Catholic school shows that they are doing exactly what God wants them to do. This is why they are important role models for us as Catholic students. These teachers show us how to be closer to Christ everyday.

Their faith encourages me to become closer to God. How does their faith impact you? It’s the big things, but also the little things. Big things are being leaders on retreats, sharing parts of their lives with you, encouraging you to go to Mass, and being a living example of faith. The little things are asking about your day, helping you out with something, or just having a conversation about anything, from the drama in the hallway to faith. Take a moment this week to reflect on the impact Xavier teachers have had on your life, and thank them.

Hailey Justice

Opinion Writer