Camacho inspires young bowlers

Amanda Ross, Sports Writer

Rolling into a new season with the same coach.

Coach  Russ   Camacho   is  the   head coach of the girls’ and boys’ bowling teams at Xavier High School. Coach Camacho has been coaching the bowling team for 18 years and has been the coach for all but one year of the program’s existence.

“I continue to coach because it is so rewarding to see athletes that could barely get the ball to make it to the pins when they started to become contributing members of  varsity by the time they graduate,” Coach Camacho said.

His father inspired his love for bowling. 

“I used to go to the bowling alley with my dad when I was younger,” Coach Camacho said. “I enjoyed watching him and they had a really cool fish tank.”

In 2001, he started to coach bowling because Xavier students brought up the idea of starting a bowling team at Xavier.

“My  favorite part about coaching bowling is getting to work with a wide variety of athletes compared to coaching football and track,” Coach Camacho said. “It is so rewarding to see the growth in an individual’s game through the course of their career.” 

He  believes that the girls’ and boys’ bowling teams are improving each practice. 

“I believe that we have the players we need to have both teams return to the state meet again this year,” Coach Camacho said. “If they can realize their potential, we have a legitimate chance to take home a state trophy this year.” 

Camacho continues to coach bowling because of the athletes he gets to work with.

“Camacho cares about each individual on the team,” junior Kaitlyn Buenzow said. “He sits down and helps everyone, but for us to succeed, we need to listen to him and improve. All he ever asks is that we take his suggestions on how   to be better and execute them.” 

Camacho’s goal for the season is to qualify for state and take home a state trophy. 

“I think we have great team chemistry,” Coach Camacho said. “Most of the varsity team returned from last season, which can go a long way to building the chemistry and success of a program.” 

The boys’ bowling team competes next on Saturday, December 21 at Lancer Lanes in Cedar Rapids and the girls’ bowling team competes on Thursday, January 2 at Creslanes Bowling in Dubuque