Beyond the stage

Kayla Seymour, A&E Writer

Speech is more than meets the eye and ear.

“I enjoyed the diversity of people who try out. They kind of have something for everyone,” junior Jenna Ampulski said. Speech is not an activity in which people stand in front of a crowd and give a long speech over a topic, nor is it an activity based on one talent. Members can dance, sing, act, write, and much more. If students are not comfortable being alone on the stage, grab a group of friends and enter into group events.

“My personal favorite group event is improv,” Ampulski said. If members do feel comfortable, there are individual events, too. “In individual speech, I loved coming up with my own speeches. It made the experience much more personal,” Ampulski said.

Worried that speech might conflict with other after school activities? Don’t! The directors, Mr. Davidson, Mrs. Streif, and Mrs. Travagiakis are very considerate while planning speech and trying to compromise with any other conflicting activities. If other activities end up conflicting with a speech competition, members are able to record your act and send it to the judges for them to score.

“Speech conflicts with show choir occasionally. One time, I had an individual speech event in the morning and a show choir competition in town that afternoon, but I did both and it worked perfectly. So, yes, in a way it conflicts, but it is completely worth the experience,” Ampulski said.

If anyone is interested in joining speech, tryouts are October 5 and 6 in Mrs. Streif’s classroom, room 242. All are welcome! An informational meeting will be held on September 29 at 6 p.m. in Mrs. Streif’s room.