Siblings swim

Amanda Ross, Sports Writer

Sibling rivalry creates a bond. 

Brothers Seth and Ethan Williams have been swimming together for nine years. They both now swim on varsity for the Washington High School team and they push each other to do their best. 

“I look up to my brother a lot, he puts in great effort and it shows with the way he improves year after year,” Seth said. “It is nice to have a brother on the swim team, so he can tell me what to expect and what practices and meets are like.”

Freshman  Seth and Junior Ethan started swimming because of their sister, Hannah Williams (X18). 

“My parents enjoyed swimming and they started my sister in it, so they decided to put me in it,” Seth said. “I am glad that I started at a young age.” Seth and Ethan cheer each other on in every meet.

“The best part of having a little brother is having the opportunity to feel proud when they succeed,” Ethan said. “Even when that means they    beat you   in a race which happens   often  with  Seth and myself.”

Seth continues to swim because of the bond that he has with his brother. 

“It is a little bit of brotherly competition seeing who can go faster or work harder during practice,” Seth said. 

The team puts in countless hours of training and traveling to meets. With all of this time together, the brothers and their teammates create a strong bond.

“Our team chemistry is very good, even between JV and Varsity squads, everyone enjoys being around each other and it is an awesome atmosphere to be around,” Seth said. 

The Washington High School boys’ swim team will compete next on Saturday, December 7 at Ames High School at 11 a.m.