Keep on dreamin’

Rachel Schneider, Opinion Writer

You are discussing future plans with a friend that you haven’t seen in a while. You talk about the stress of finding a college, the perfect person to be with or simply what you want to do with your life. You tell your friend that you don’t know where your life is headed. Sure, your parents have helped you along the way, but you don’t know how you will do on your own.

I was nervous coming into my junior year, not going to lie, because of the stereotype that it’s the hardest year of high school. While it’s been okay so far, I’ve already started to get questions from people like, “Where do you want to go to college?” or “Have you considered what you want to major in?” While they mean no harm, it makes me wonder if I’m going to enjoy my life 10 years from now or if the dreams I have are even worth thinking about.

I know I can’t ever fully predict my future or make sure that my life is going according to plan, because that’s not how life works, but there arewaysIcanhelpitgointhe right direction. I love to dream of the things that I would enjoy doing as I get older. They aren’t always realistic, but it is exciting to think of all the possibilities. Traveling toParis, France to see the Eiffel Toweror becoming a famous actress are some of the possibly unrealistic dreams I have; but who knows, they could become a reality. In 10 years, I could be visiting the Louvre or show up on your TV screen worried about which guy to choose in a love triangle TV drama.

While I’m only a 16-year-old girl fromatowninIowa,nodreamshould be too big or too small. You shouldn’t throw out a dream because you don’t know if it’s possible or because of the risks that comes with it. I want to look back on my life and be grateful that I took a risk and decided to go for it. No matter what your dream is, if it’s important to you, keep on dreamin’. Do the work to make it happen for your dream’s sake.