Siblings at state golf

Kya Loffswold, Sports Writer

Sibling rivalry is a common thing found in most households. Brothers Matthew and Ryan Schmit thoroughly understand this when it comes to their shared love of golf.

Junior Matthew and freshman Ryan have golfed with each other for as long as they can remember. They even got to experience the State Tournament together.

This is the third year in a row the Xavier boys’ golf team has made it to state, setting a new school record. Matthew has been on the varsity team all three of those years.

“Playing varisty has given me confidence and experience every time I play,” Matthew said.

Ryan has benefited from Matthew’s experience and advice.

“He gave me advice to not worry so much about how I play, but to enjoy the moment because it won’t last long,” Ryan said.

On the other hand, Ryan also motivates Matthew to play better as well.

“Ryan challenged me to work harder and to get better because nobody wants to lose to their brother,” Matthew said. “It’s fun spending time together and getting competitive on the course.”

The State Tournament was held at the Tournament Club of Iowa in Polk County, on October 11 and 12.

“The conditions were brutal, but they were the same for everyone,” Coach Tim O’Brien said.

This caused the average score for 4A golfers over the two day tournament to be 86 and the par for the course since the state tournament began is 71.

After having a rough start on the first day, O’Brien was proud of the way his golfers bounced back the second day.

“Their ability to bounce back on day two, and play within one stroke of Cedar Falls, who had been ranked number one all year, within three strokes of the state champions Waukee, plus moving ahead of Kennedy being 14 strokes behind at the beginning of the second day contributed to our success,” O’Brien said.

The Saints were able to fight through the weather and place in the top ten.

Matthew and Ryan hope to compete together next year at the state tournament.