Freshmen form their faith

Gwen Cataldo, News Writer

On Friday, September 11, the freshmen gathered together at St. Pius X Parish to begin their high school journey of faith. The Freshman Retreat was led by Mrs. Jody Esker, Father Dustin Vu, Mrs. Jaclyn Hussey, and the senior mentors who have been aiding the freshmen in getting acclimated to high school.

The theme of the retreat was “The Potter’s Hands” and focused on the individual gifts of each freshman. It included Mass led by Father Vu and a pottery demonstration by Mrs. Stephanie Wendt. Mrs. Wendt has been giving this demonstration for five years now.

“After doing the first retreat, the experience helped me see from another perspective what I do. It made me realize that God gave me these skills and the ability to improve them. It’s more than a matter of practice,” Mrs. Wendt said.

The freshmen were also given opportunities to discover their individual gifts and talents. These opportunities ranged from hearing from the senior mentors to time for quiet prayer. The freshmen were also able to ask questions of their senior mentors and were given time to bond with their classmates.

“Our hope for the freshmen is that they see themselves as a unique creation that with God’s grace is going to continue to grow and develop,” Mrs. Esker said.