Library renovation booked

Lizzie Leu, News Writer

Both faculty and students alike have noticed some changes to the furniture in the Library Media Center (LMC). This is just the beginning of Xavier administration’s big plans. After receiving a generous donation over the summer, the administration has been planning innovative changes for the LMC. Principal Tom Keating was inspired to start making changes during the National Catholic Education Association (NCEA) Conference last year. One session he attended at the conference was about remaking the library space to create a more effective learning environment.

“We want to bring the LMC into our students’ current world,” Mr. Keating said. The administration has asked for faculty and student input on how to go about making these changes. They have reached out to local libraries, such as the Cedar Rapids Public Library, and other schools in the area for help. They have even consulted libraries outside of Iowa for ideas. After weeks of discussion, the administration along with OPN Architects organized their ideas into a plan.

The first step will be completely opening up the layout of the library. The angled shelves are going to be replaced with what Mr. Keating calls the Collaborative Learning Area (CLA), an area that will promote collaboration between students and their peers, and students and teachers. The CLA will be enclosed by glass, utilize a sound barrier, and feature new furniture.

“When libraries were part of our lives, there were books everywhere, and it was meant to be a quiet place,” Mr. Keating said. “We think it needs to be more of an engaging place.”

The administration plans to accomplish this by turning the old study hall room into the Technology Enabled Activity Learning (TEAL) Lab. Teachers can book this area to work on collaborative projects with their students. There will be six student technology stations within to work on research, problem solving, and presentations.

In addition to the furniture changes and collaborative areas, there will be a new face working in the LMC. Current English teacher Mrs. Tracie Marshall will take over as the new teacher library in January and she wants students to be active.

“My overall goal is to make the LMC THE place to be!” Mrs. Marshall said. “I want students to be comfortable getting to know this space and how it works for them. It’s your library: come in!”