Spring play preview

Hayley Seymour, A&E Writer

Witches, knights and dragons fill the halls of Xavier High School this spring. The upcoming Xavier spring play is The Thwarting of Baron Bolligrew, a common play in England. The play will be presented for three consecutive nights in the Regis/LaSalle Theatre. This year, the play is directed by Mr. Mike Cervantes.

“I chose Bolligrew because of the cast size,” said Cervantes. “I wanted to give as many students an opportunity to be on stage as possible. Also, it’s a great play for kids and adults. It has good and bad knights, talking birds, an evil wizard and a black dragon with red eyes”. The cast contains 18 students from all grades.

The Thwarting of Baron Bolligrew is a comedy play based in medieval time and shows the struggle between the powers of good and evil. The play is a tale of Sir Oblong, his adventures and obstacles with many jokes along the way. Playing the evil Baron Bolligrew, is senior Joe Iversen and his sidekick, Squire Blackheart, played by sophomore Colin Battien. The brave main character is Sir Oblong, played by freshman Zach Douglas.

Some cast members relate qualities from themselves to their characters to act.

“I love that I get to play Squire Blackheart, because I finally get to be a funny character. In a lot of my other roles, I’m cast as an authority figure because of my size compared to other people. But as Blackheart, I actually get to use my size as the joke, so it all works out,” said Battien. “Please come see the show! Even though it’s children’s theatre, it’s a lot of fun. It’s a great show to take your little siblings to.”

Opening night is April 11, at 7 p.m. in the Regis/LaSalle Theatre with two other shows on April 12 and 13, both at 7 p.m.