Striking big at state

Libby Arnold, Sports Writer

At the beginning of every season, most teams and players set goals they want to accomplish. This is true for the Xavier girls’ bowling team.

“Our biggest goal was to make it to state and that’s exactly what we did,” junior Olivia Nolte said.

The girls’ bowling team punched their ticket to state on February 14.

“The state bowling tournament is unlike any tournament I have ever been to,” Head Coach Russ Camacho said. The team finished seventh place overall.

“Our team did great and I’m happy at how we did this season,”sophomore Kaitlyn Buenzow said. Alongside placing seventh as a team, Nolte finished eighth individually. Nolte described her accomplishments in two words: “amazing” and “unbelievable”.

“Olivia has been rock solid for us all season. She has been the anchor bowler for us for a large part of the season, which is where you put your best bowler,” Coach Camacho said. “She did not have the result she wanted at the state qualifying meet, so she was hungry to show what she was capable of. Getting eighth in the state was a huge accomplishment for her.”

Nolte has spent most of her childhood in a bowling alley.

“I absolutely love bowling,” Nolte said.

The girls’ bowling had a successful finish to their season, and they did it for the love of the sport and the love for their teammates.

“The team is amazing,” junior Ellie Marovets said. There is never a dull moment with them. We all get along together and are always pushing each other to get better.”

The team is sad to see their season end but eager for the next one to start.

Coach Camacho said, “I am looking forward to having most of the team back again next year to see what we can do.”