A good life is a useful life

Claire Delaney, Opinion Editor

“A good life is a useful life.” My Grandma Q. passed away on May 11, 2018 from Alzheimer’s. She used this saying to make sure her life was good and benefiting others. Grandma Q. was the type of lady who never swore, could never say a bad thing about another person and was the most faith-filled person I knew. Even after she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, she would do her best to remember who we were and would attempt to follow the conversation, even though she did not know what we were talking about.

Senior Claire Delaney and her family gather around their Grandpa Bill and Grandma Q. at a nursing home. Karen Delaney Photo.

When my Grandma used to say “A good life is a useful life”, these are the questions that make me wonder if I was following her saying: “Do I help others?”, “Have I left a good impression on the people I’ve met?” “Would my Grandma Q. be proud of me?” While my answers to these questions may not always be yes, I hope eventually I will be able to say I was like her in everything she did. I want to be known as even half the person she was. She would smile at everyone even if she didn’t know them, which has become my goal for senior year- smile at people in the halls who I have never seen. She was an amazing teacher, while I am just a teacher’s assistant, I want my freshmen to know they can come to me for help with anything, especially how to read Shakespeare.

Most of you have your own version of a Grandma Q. It could be a parent, coach, teacher or even your own grandma. Now think of the great impact they have had on you. Think about how they have shaped you into who you are today. Think of all the ways they have shown you how to be a great role model. Ask yourself those three questions I asked myself. If you cannot answer yes to them all, then change your life. Be who your role model would want you to be. Stop the excuses and do something to make yourself proud. Live a good life that helps others and allows them to then live their best life. If you aren’t happy with your answers then make an effort to be more like your Grandma Q, or you can even try to be like my amazing Grandma Q. Remember “A good life is a useful life.”