Spotlight on Dani

Christine Hilario, A&E Writer

Junior Dani Oberfoell as she performs during Xhilaration’s debut show. Victoria Oberfoell Photo.

After transferring to Xavier High School, junior Dani Oberfoell found a family she could not see her life without: show choir.

Oberfoell participates in the varsity show choir, Xhilaration. This is Oberfoell’s second year being in show choir.

“I was in show choir at my old school in Omaha for a year before moving here,” Oberfoell said. “It’s funny to think that just two years ago I barely knew what show choir was.”

Oberfoell faced many changes when she moved to Cedar Rapids.

“The biggest change overall I experienced moving here was the size difference,” Oberfoell said. “Cedar Rapids is barely a fraction of the size of Omaha, but as a state overall, Iowa isn’t much different than Nebraska.”

Being a part of show choir allowed Oberfoell to meet new people.

“I met almost all of my friends through show choir,” Oberfoell said. “It’s hard not to get close to a group of people who you’re surrounded with practically every day!”

On Saturday, January 5, Xhilaration performed in its first competition at Ankeny Centennial High School.

“I was a little nervous for our first competition, but mostly just excited,” Oberfoell said. “To deal with the nerves, I like to listen to a lot of music and focus on turning my nervous energy into adrenaline to perform.”

Xhilaration Director Mr. Matt Walker is looking forward to what the season will bring for his students.

“Seeing the students improve and get to do what they love are the most exciting parts of the season for me,” Walker said.

Xhilaration will be participating in four more competitions this season. They will compete at Anamosa High School on January 26, Mt. Pleasant High School on February 2, Benton High School on February 9 and Marion High School on February 23.