Pfab on fire

More stories from Quinn Hanigan

Freshmen four
May 1, 2019
A fresh start
March 15, 2019

Diving from summer into fall, the Iowa swimmers are splashing into the end of their seasons. The Washington girls’ swim team finished 5-3 in dual meets and are now focusing on qualifying for the state meet.

One of the individuals who has shown potential this season is freshman Lucy Pfab, who has improved her times in all strokes. Pfab continues to work hard and has a focus for her determination.

“Some things that motivate me to keep going are my friends and family. They are so supportive of me swimming and always come to watch me,” Pfab said. “They make me want to swim faster and make it until the very end.”

Being a freshman at a different school, Pfab was surprised by the welcoming atmosphere of the team.

“My favorite thing about swimming for Wash is getting to know different people from different schools. Students come from Marion, Washington, and Xavier to make up one team,” Pfab said.

The closeness of everyone can be attributed to Coach Megan Lewis, according to Xavier junior Morgan Simoneau.

“She (Lewis) emphasizes that we are one team and each person has their place contributing to it. We have a lot of team bonding events so the upperclassmen are always very welcoming each year,” Simoneau said.

The girls on the team are unphased by any defeats they have and are looking forward to the rest of the season.

“Our record sadly isn’t undefeated, but we have won most of our meets this year and have many more coming soon,” Pfab said.

Their next meet is on Saturday, October 27 at Regionals at the Linn Mar Aquatic Center. State will follow on Friday, November 3 in Marshalltown.