A siblings tennis bond

Quinn Hanigan, Sports Writer

As the school year is approaching the end, students are enjoying the spring sports for the fleeting time they are in season. For Xavier girls’ tennis players Madeline and Sarah Abu-Nameh, this will be the last opportunity to officially compete together as doubles partners. Maddie is a senior and Sarah is a junior graduating early. So, not only is this their last tennis season as partners, but the last of their high school careers.

“It is a bittersweet feeling for this to be my last year,” Maddie said. “I am going to miss all my great teammates and coach, but I am also ready for college.”

Not all siblings get the chance to play with each other.

“I enjoy having my sister as my doubles partner,” Maddie said. “We work well together, because we have different attitudes when we play so we even each other out.”

Last year, the team collectively placed 3rd at state. This year, their sights are set higher.

“My goals for the season are to go to state as an individual and win state as a team,” Sarah said.

Their optimism about the season is backed up by the new team members they received this year.

“This season we have two freshmen in the varsity lineup,” Maddie said. “This makes the season different because we have not had that many freshmen in the varsity lineup since Emily Jasper and I were freshmen. I am really excited to see what sophomore Miyako Coffey and freshmen Courtney Carstensen and Ally Burger will do. I think all of us seniors are ready to lead them to a state championship.”

With the help of their coach, Matt Foxhoven, they believe their goals are achievable.

“My coach helps me improve by motivating me to play my best and be the best I can be,” Sarah said.

The girls play next at Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Center in Iowa City on Thursday, April 11 against Iowa City Liberty at 4 p.m.