Freshmen four

Quinn Hanigan, Sports Writer

This freshman class brought a lot of new athletes to Xavier’s spring sports. Included in this class are boys’ tennis players Declan Coe, Hugh Courter, Brady Horstmann and Trenton Link. This group of freshmen have added youth to the boys’ varsity team. It is unusual for that many freshmen to be on varsity, as last year there was only one.

“My goals this season include making it to individual state for singles and playing in team state,” Horstmann said. “I also want to improve my overall game.”

Their collective goal is to win state as a team. With the different dynamic of younger players this year, a large worry was how the team would adjust. With the help of the coaches, Jim Potts and Chuck Lampe, the transition was easier.

“My coaches always push me and encourage me to be my best,” Link said.

The coaches keep the players on task and focused, but still incorporate fun activities during practices.

“They help me by staying positive and keeping the sport fun,” Courter said. “They both make it really enjoyable to be on the team.”

The older players on the team have been role models for the freshmen, and some have really bonded.

“I get along well with the upperclassmen,” Horstmann said. “They are always trying to make you a better player by challenging you to do your best.”

Specifically, Wesley Johnson has been a leader for the boys and encourages them any chance he gets.

“Wes is my mentor,” Courter said. “I owe everything to Wes.”

The boys’ next meet is at home against Iowa City High at 4 p.m. on Thursday, May 2.