Flanagan joins boys’ golf

Libby Arnold, Sports Writer

With three team state championships, three individuals state championships, and being named Coach of the Year four times, Patrick Flanagan brings a lot of talent to the Xavier boys’ golf team. Flanagan joins Xavier as head freshman coach. He was the former head golf coach at Columbus Catholic High School in Waterloo, Iowa.

“I have been playing since I was a caddy in junior high, and I’ve played the game ever since. The past ten years I have been a part of Titleist Performance Institution which is a group of golf teachers that are sponsored by Titleist, to make male golfers better,” Flanagan said.

When the English department had an open teaching position, Flanagan knew it was an opportunity he could not turn down.

“An opportunity I could not resist. An English job opened up and I said, I am going to  inquire about that,” Flanagan said.

The head varsity coach, Tim O’Brien and the boys’ golf team are excited to add Flanagan to the team.

“He is doing a tremendous job which, does not surprise me because he was a former varsity coach with many successes at Columbus, and we are really fortunate to have him on the staff, both as a teacher and coach,” O’Brien said.

The boys’ golf team competed at the MVC Quad at Pheasant Ridge on August 30. The team was led by senior, Nick Recker. The Saints then competed at Finkbine Golf Course on September 4 and they swung their way to second place in both meets.

The team will compete next on September 17 at Gates Park Golf Course in Waterloo at 3:15 p.m.