To the ones who will replace me

Sylvia Clubb, Editor-in-Chief

Anna Busse, Tory Brown, Gwen Cataldo. For four years, these were the names that came up when a teacher realized I reminded them of a former student. Anna, who I’ve never met, Tory, who was my senior mentor when I was just beginning my journey at Xavier, and Gwen, who knew me before I became the person I am today. For various reasons, whether it be my hyper-present organization in the classroom, passion for mock trial, overall “cheerleader-y” outlook on life, or love for being present on the stage, I have put a smile on a teacher’s face as they recall the memory of a student who has come before me.

As I leave Xavier, my name will soon become a memory teachers will reflect upon. How long will I be remembered at Xavier? No one knows. But I hope my words and actions will be reflected for years to come, especially in the things I loved most at Xavier.

To those editors who will sit on Mrs. Wagner’s infamous (and possibly deadly) editor stools: you have the power to make a difference in one of your classmates. Cover important stories, encourage change, and demand action. Discover why you were put in this position. Talk to Mrs. Wagner. I can’t say enough to express all she has given to me in one short year: a calling, a confidant, a shoulder to cry on, and a teacher best friend.

To those who will experience the highs and lows of Robins Mock Trial: I know your pain. I know how much you want to be told you’re doing well; your experience is one that most of your classmates cannot share with you. Take those skills and apply them elsewhere in life. Bond with your teammates; share all that you have on Wednesday’s and Sunday’s (even if it is just to get out of writing your closing).

To those who will take my place on center stage: never doubt your own talent. Your time in the spotlight is well deserved and well received. Lose yourself in a character. If your voice cracks on stage, it’s not the end of the world. If you cry singing a song, show the audience that emotion. Wear your characters’ hearts on your sleeve.

To the girls who stand on the sidelines: always watch the seniors walk across Saints Field. Whether they realize it or not, when those boys entered the world of Xavier football, you entered with them. You see firsthand every win and loss and every mid-game injury. Remember how many eyes are on you; you are a role model for all of the little girls mesmerized by you in the stands. Embody what it means to be a Xavier cheerleader.

To those who “underachieve:” show Xavier what you can do. I came into Xavier as the girl who broke the seven year state champion mock trial streak, the girl who was a dance captain in middle school and didn’t make high school show choir, and the girl who prayed to make football cheer and made basketball instead. I’m leaving Xavier as a three-time All-State Attorney award recipient and a Mock Trial State Champion, the “workhorse” of Xhilaration, and a two-time All-American Cheerleader (who was also a member of her respective football cheerleading squad for all four years of high school). Every high school story is unwritten; how do you want yours to end?

It seems strange to not include a portion of my life that existed with me for three years of high school, and something that plays a large part in the lives of the senior class. So, while I’m crossing my fingers and praying writing about this doesn’t “jinx” myself, to those who are told a long distance relationship will never work: trust your instincts. Listen to those around you who know you best. Lucky for me, my mom was there with me every step of the way, reminding me of my own worth and what is due to both sides of a relationship. Every relationship is a two-way street, and not everything is always meant to be. Nothing about long distance is easy, but in some cases, it’s worth it.

While my time at Xavier may be over, hopefully there’s someone here who will carry a small piece of me with them. When my name comes up next to yours, I hope you smile and think of me as more than just a memory. One final message; to the girls who I’ve replaced: I hope I made you proud.

Sylvia Clubb

Editor-in-Chief