Saints welcome new coach

Caitlin Kramer, Sports Editor

For many, a new head coach may cause lots of changes in the fundamental principles of a program, but for the Xavier Saints baseball team, this transition has gone fairly smooth. With a head baseball coach position needing to be filled, Xavier offered the job to former assistant coach Dan Halter, who accepted.

“I am very honored to be the head baseball coach at Xavier,” Halter said. “We have a rich tradition built with great coaches and players. It is a tremendous opportunity with great kids that are fun to be around.”

Halter was the head sophomore baseball coach from 2012-2015, and was the varsity assistant from 2016-2017. Halter has been around the program and knows how it functions best. Having this familiar face step in has aided immensely in the coaching adjustments, according to players.

“Halter has been with the program as an assistant coach for the past few years and I’m excited for him to lead us,” senior pitcher Will Angstman said. “I don’t think there will be much of a transition because he has been in the program and we are all comfortable and used to him being a coach for us.”

Although official practice did not start until this past Monday, April 30, members of the Saints team have been practicing for and competing in a spring league to prepare for their regular season games. Despite not being able to play in some of their spring league games due to weather cancellations, Halter likes what he sees in the team this year.

“The biggest thing that has stood out in spring workouts and games is that we have strong depth and will have a lot of competition for every spot, which we expected,” Halter said. “Guys have put the time in, worked hard, and meshed well together.  If that continues and everyone buys in to accepting and excelling at their given role on a day, good things will happen.”

The Saints went 18-21 last season and, even though it is early, hope to see improvements in their game this season.

“We want to make it to Des Moines and get a state title this year,” junior catcher Garrett Ries said. “We have been hitting the ball great, been having good defense, and our pitchers have been throwing a lot of strikes. All of this is making me very excited for this summer season.”

Xavier opens the regular season up at 7 p.m. on Friday, May 25 against Iowa City Liberty at Mount Mercy University.

Caitlin Kramer

Sports Editor