Trapshooting aims for different goals

Syd Walther, Sports Writer

Rookies and veterans: no matter how experienced a trapshooter is, the season is full of opportunities to set goals to improve skills and techniques.

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources Scholastic Clays Target Program directs the Xavier trapshooting team. The object of the sport is to break 25 clay targets shot into the air five times from five differing positions. Scores are placed out of 50. The Saints are coached by Gene Parker.

Junior Matthew Koopmann has been shooting trap since his freshman year but is always setting goals to better himself and the team.

“My goal is to be able to shoot a perfect score of 50 out of 50,” Koopmann said. “I am already close, but I just need to stay focused and pay attention to the fine details.”

Koopmann credits his success to his ritual of saying, “Hey, that was pretty good,” after each shot.

Junior Peter Kennedy looks up to teammate and friend Koopmann, as he begins his first season of trapshooting.

“My goals are to learn the basics of trap and hopefully become better as the season goes on,” Kennedy said. “Matthew is one of the best trapshooters ,and I believe that I can learn a lot from him this season.”

Kennedy chose to take up trap because he wanted to try something new and spend time with his friends.

“I already went out for my first season of swimming and thought I should keep it up by beginning trap,” Kennedy said. “I really just want to beat [junior] Rory [Bostwick].”

As the team begins their season, they look to make memories through friendship and their competitiveness.

The trap team has boys and girls from all grades. Their season began  on Tuesday, March 13 and  will continue through the middle of June.

Syd Walther

Sports Writer