Boys’ swimming returns home

Hannah Williams, Sports Writer

The boys’ state swim meet will return to Iowa City after 13 years. In the past, the meet has been held at the Marshalltown YMCA but this year, the meet will be held at the University of Iowa Campus Recreation and Wellness Center on Saturday, February 10. The top 24 times in the state, set at the district meets on Saturday, February 3, will qualify for the state meet.

“I can’t wait to swim in a pool as nice as the University of Iowa pool,” senior Carter Kramer said. “There is so much history at that place and their pool is a big upgrade from Marshalltown’s.”

The members of the Kennedy boys’ swim team have been working hard all season to earn a spot on the district team for a chance to compete at the state meet.

“The season has been going well so far, but I still have a lot of technical work to do in these last four weeks,” Kramer said.

Kramer is ranked 31 out of 709 in the state for the 50 freestyle, with a time of 22.62. He is also ranked 48 out of 328 in the 100 breaststroke, with a  time  of  1.06.25.

The swimmers who do not compete at districts compete at the jv conference meet, or at the sophomore MVC Super Meet for their last meet of the season. Freshman Daniel Mulherin is excited to swim at the sophomore MVC Super Meet for his last meet.

“I have been doing my best in practice to prepare for this meet,” Mulherin said.

The MVC Super Meet is on Saturday, January 27 at Linn-Mar. The varsity teams will compete next at districts, at Linn-Mar  on Saturday, February 2.

Hannah Williams

Sports Writer