Food for thought

Hanna Bohrer, Student Life Editor

“A number six, no mayo, please,” I say as I order a veggie sandwich at Jimmy John’s. I often get asked, “Are you a vegetarian?” When I respond that I am, the comeback I dread the most is the judgmental stare as they contemplate whether or not I am stuck up. Doesn’t it sound crazy to judge someone entirely on what they choose to eat? However, it is more common than one would assume.

I consider myself to have been partially vegetarian since I was born. My stomach has always turned at the thought of ingesting a dead animal carcass. My parents used to make me eat five bites of meat at dinner every night. I would stand over the trash can because most times, I could not get it down due to the texture. From a young age, a carnivorous diet did not work for me, as eating small amounts of meat caused me terrible stomach aches.

As I became older and less sheltered, I stumbled upon the idea of being a vegetarian. I heard people all over the internet say it was a healthier lifestyle. This immediately caught my attention because I had always been told I had to eat meat in order to be healthy. After reading countless articles and blogs, I learned about the benefits of not eating meat. According to CalorieKing.com, “In general, vegetarians tend to have substantially reduced risks for obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, lung cancer, and colon cancer.” I researched more about this and decided to start restricting my meat intake when I was in middle school. My dad would rattle off comments such as, “Where are you going to get your protein?” I found protein does not only come from meat. There are other ways to get your daily needed requirements, such as nuts, kale, and multiple other foods. I became a full blown vegetarian my freshman year, and I haven’t looked back since then. My health has reaped the benefits of a vegetarian diet. I feel better, I have more energy and I am saving animals. I can proudly say I no longer contribute to the senseless killing of innocent animals.

I often receive hate for this lifestyle choice. There are common preconceived notions about vegetarians. No, I do not hate you for eating meat, in fact the vast majority of my friends and family frequently eat meat. I do not stand outside of Outback Steak House with a pitchfork in one hand and a sign in the other, yelling at people as they walk inside. No, I do not feel like I am missing out. I can eat meat, I just choose not to eat meat.

Just because I do not eat meat does not mean I am a complete health nut who looks sideways at everyone at the grocery store with a chocolate bar in their cart. I love junk food just as much as the next girl.  No, I do not think I am better than you because you eat animals. I have a different opinion than you, but that does not make you better than me or vice versa. For those who choose to jump to conclusions about me, I have tried eating meat and I have tried not eating meat. Until you have tried taking meat out of your diet, you can’t say that it is unhealthy. I do not judge you because you don’t like peppers, so please do not judge me for not liking pepperoni.