Saints exceeding expectations

Senior+Gabe+Lux+surveys+the+field+in+a+game+against+Benton+on+September+8.+Camryn+McPherson+Photo.+

Senior Gabe Lux surveys the field in a game against Benton on September 8. Camryn McPherson Photo.

Will Hanigan, Sports Writer

After a last second heartbreak last season, the Xavier Saints football team is back, and looking to continue exceeding expectations. Returning only a few starters, it is safe to say that expectations for the season were lower than in past years. Four new captains, senior receiver Gabe Lux, senior end Jacob Hines, senior linebacker Jack Lemke, and senior defensive back Beau Van Berkum, have stepped up early in the season to help fill the leadership and talent voids left from last year. They attribute their early success to feeling the need to finish their senior year on a high note.

“Time has gone by so fast, and while it is sad to be so close to the end, we are very excited and motivated to see what the years of hard work have led up to,” Van Berkum said.

Being a captain is often associated with solely more power, as well as ostracizing yourself from your teammates in some cases. However, pressure and blame can often be placed onto the captains. It is not always the easiest job in the world, but the four concurred that it was an honor, and not a burden to lead the Saints.

“It is definitely an honor, and it is cool our teammates picked us. We know we must set a good example for the team, and the future of the program,” Lemke said.

While the Saints have enjoyed a superb start to the season, with wins against Regina, Linn-Mar, and Benton, many students, adults, staff, and Gazette correspondents predicted that this would be the year the Saints’ juggernaut fell. A team could take this two ways: believe in the criticism and crumble, or use it as motivation. Hines says they chose the latter.

“It really puts a chip on our shoulders. We have talent and more experience than we are given credit for; a lot of the guys starting got scout team minutes last year,” Hines said. “It is different than last year. A lot of people said we wouldn’t be as good, but we just want to continue to prove people wrong by working hard.”

After the team’s hot start to the season, expectations will continue to rise, with a postseason berth in the dome, and a state championship always the goal for the Saints. Staying grounded is now a new focus after the first few wins of the season, with many of the team’s naysayers now quiet.

“We can still get much better; we have a lot to improve for the challenges that will come later on in the season. We now have a target on our back,” Van Berkum said.

The Saints played again on September 15, beating Charles City. Xavier’s next game will be at home, on  September 22, against Decorah.

Will Hanigan

Sports Writer