Don’t limit yourself

Shelby Olson, Opinion Writer

You will come across people not only in high school, but also in life, who will shape your future and open your mind to new experiences. My time in high school has been filled with close-minded individuals who have no intention of getting out of Iowa and seeing something other than corn fields and small towns. Thankfully, I haven’t let these people shape me into the person I want to be in the future. My message to anyone reading this is to not be a person who has no interest in anything outside of their daily routine.

High school is one of the first times you are able to seriously think about your future, so why limit yourself from all the great things you can accomplish? Think outside of sitting behind a desk or in an office. If I was given the choice to choose between being a CEO and making a large sum of money or traveling the world while living off of a few dollars, I would choose to travel the world. You may not be rich in money, but you would be rich in experience. This is more rewarding than sitting behind a desk unhappy with your lifestyle, despite being able to support yourself.

These past four years, I’ve not only come across people who want to spend the rest of their lives in Iowa, but who also have no intention of leaving if given the choice. I’ve heard many say, “Why would I want to leave? I have everything I need here.” While this may be true for some, it is not a good excuse for not wanting to experience new things or immersing yourself in another culture. We won’t be this young forever, so take advantage of every opportunity you have to travel while you can. You may regret it when you’re older if you don’t.

My message to those in high school now, people entering high school, or even those who are out of high school: it is never too late to start living your life. Don’t let yourself or others limit you from having experiences you will cherish for a lifetime. You are capable of steering your own life, so take advantage of the opportunities put in front of you.

Shelby Olson

Opinion Writer