Time flies when you’re having fun

Mahlon Steepleton, Sports Writer

I have less than two weeks before my time as a Xavier Saint ends. It’s been one heck of a ride, and I’m going to miss my time here.

The football games on Friday nights were my favorite part of my four years at Xavier. We made it all the way to the state championship game My freshman year.

Finally, during my senior year I got to lead the student section in chants. I really thought we would go all the way this year, but we had a heartbreaking loss in the semi-final game against Pella.

I’m not ashamed to say it, I cried a little bit right after that loss. To all the boys in football: it was a pleasure watching you this past fall. Thanks for making my senior football season an enjoyable one. I wouldn’t have traded it for anything in the world.

Next, I cheered on the two-time defending state champion basketball team, led by guards Matt Mims, Jackson Joens, and one of my best friends, all-state player Maxson Techau. I went to all six state games at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, and those six games were some of the best memories of my high school career.

Last, but certainly not least, is my cross-country career. Running in cross-country meets the last four years for Xavier included some of my most memorable memories, whether it was team bonding or Donutland right after morning practice.

My favorite part was when we made it to the state cross-country meet back-to-back years in 2015 and 2016. Winning our district state qualifying meet by two points in Decorah this year was exhilarating.

The people I want to thank for impacting me the last four years at Xavier are my cross-country coaches, Coach Mallie and Coach Hopp, for always pushing me to my full potential; my mom and dad, for always being there for me during the good and bad times; lastly, I want to thank my grandpa for always believing in me and telling me I could do anything if I set my mind to it.

Thank you, Xavier High School for making me a better person in my faith, family, and community. Mayday out.

Mahlon Steepleton

Sports Writer