Four years of thank you’s

Anna Weih, Opinion Co-Editor

4 years. 1,460 days. 35,040 hours. 126,144,000 seconds. The majority of this time has been spent within the walls of Xavier High School. From a brace-face 14-year-old freshman to an 18-year-old getting ready to move out, this school has helped transform me into an adult during my most important years. As my time as a Xavier Saint draws to a close, there are some people I would like to thank for shaping me into the person I am today.

To Mrs. Wagner, thank you for helping me discover my passion for writing. I look forward to coming to first period newspaper everyday because I love what I do. You have continually pushed me to become a better writer and express myself through my words. Thank you for believing in me and my skills and giving me a leadership opportunity as an opinion editor. Your endless trust in me is something I will forever be grateful for.

To Mrs. Ireland, thank you for seeing the real me. Although this was your first year at Xavier, you have had more of an impact on me than you’ll ever know. Through one of the hardest and most stressful years of my life, you were my rock. Giving me the opportunity to lead Kairos 25 was the most rewarding experience of high school. Thank you for trusting the real me and allowing me to share my story with the juniors. Your selflessness and strong faith make you an amazing role model for all students.

To my brother, Matthew, thank you for always being there for me. Although we spend most of our days arguing, I know you always have my back. Having you at Xavier this year and seeing you during passing periods made my senior year a little more special. I’ll miss our morning jams to mainstream radio music on the way to school. Please come visit me next year. I will actually miss you, kid.

Lastly, I’d like to thank my parents. The majority of the last 18 years have been spent with you by my side. The thought of moving out in just three short months seems unreal. I can’t imagine a life where I don’t come home to the two most loving and kind-hearted people I know.

Mom, thank you for being my best friend. Through all the heartbreak, drama, and mistakes that came along with raising me, you never left my side. Thank you for always making me feel important and helping me discover my self-worth. Life without you just wouldn’t be as fun.

Dad, thank you for being the greatest mentor. Although I complain about all the lectures you give me, I appreciate them more than you know. Thank you for showing me the value of hard work. From completing an IronMan to sacrificing your time by working long hours and late nights, you have shown me how good things come to those who work hard.

Mom and Dad, without you, I wouldn’t be the person I am today. I will never be able to repay you for the unconditional love and support you have offered me the last 18 years, even in the most difficult times. Because of you two, I know I can face anything that life throws at me. I will miss you more than I can put into words.

I am thankful for Xavier and all the lessons it has taught me, but it is time for a new adventure at Iowa State. I cannot wait to see what life has in store for me.

Anna  Weih

Opinion Co-Editor