The power of positivity

Ellie Fisher, News Editor

“Make it a great day, Saints!” For the past four years, I have heard these six words be repeated every morning after announcements. Like many students, I brushed these words off and kept scrolling through Twitter or cramming for the Calc test I was about to take. I didn’t pay much attention to what these words really meant until this year. While my senior year has taught me a great deal of lessons, there is one in particular that is important to pass on to those around me: the power of positivity.

Wow, doesn’t that sound cheesy? However, no matter how cliché you may think it sounds, the bottom line is that our attitude plays a huge part in all of our lives. That is why Mr. Mike Winker and Mrs. Pam Barta use the words, “Make it a great day, Saints,” rather than, “Have a great day,” or “Good luck today.” The simple, four-letter word, “make,” truly makes all the difference. Every Saint who hears these words during the morning announcements is reminded that they have the power to decide what kind of day they want to have.

Now, I am not saying bad things don’t happen and that we should all be crazy positive 24/7. This past year, we have all been touched by death, loss, heartbreak, and defeat. I, too, have had days where I feel hopeless or like things will never start to turn around, but every loss and heartbreak give us the opportunity to grow stronger and wiser. What matters is not the defeat itself, but what you learn from it and how you choose to continue on afterwards. So keep in mind that it is okay to have those bad days, but never stay down and defeated for too long. Make the decision to turn your day around by filling your mind with hope, happiness, and confidence.

The Law of Attraction states that the more we think about something, the more it shows up in our lives. For example, when someone buys a new car, they are more likely to start seeing that same type of car all over the road. This same phenomenon occurs with our thoughts. The more you focus on the negative aspects of life, the more gloomy and under the weather you will continue to feel. More importantly, once you begin filling your mind with positivity and optimism, life becomes so much more enjoyable and memorable.

My good friend, Jon Gordon, reminded me that every morning I have a choice to make: a choice to be positive or to allow the negativity to take over; the choice to make it a great day or to not. What will you decide tomorrow morning? How will you live the rest of your life?

Ellie Fisher

News Editor