Academic success recognized

Noah Lynch, News Writer

Some of the top students in the state were recently awarded for their outstanding academic success throughout high school. On April 30, 429 high school seniors received the 15th annual Governor’s Scholar Award. Each year, high schools in Iowa select one or two students who are high academic achievers to receive this award.

The students were honored at a ceremony hosted by Governor Terry Branstad and Lt. Governor Kim Reynolds at the Hy-Vee Hall in Des Moines. The ceremony and awards are sponsored by the Governor’s Office, the Iowa Farm Bureau Federation, and the Iowa High School Athletic Association.

Two Xavier students, Allie Morrow and Jackson Schuster, were chosen to receive this year’s award. The students also chose one teacher who has significantly impacted them to be recognized at the ceremony as well. Mr. Nate Greene and Mr. Matt Walker joined Schuster and Morrow at the ceremony. The students received a plaque, as well as a photo of themselves with Branstad and Reynolds.

“We listened to a few speakers, and then got to walk across the stage and meet Terry Branstad and Kim Reynolds,” Morrow said. “It was also cool to see some of the other kids I knew from Cedar Rapids get recognized as well.”

Iowa Farm Bureau President Craig Hill and David Herold, the Chairperson of the Board of Control of the Iowa High School Athletic Association, also delivered messages to the students and their guests. Not only did the ceremony focus on past achievements but also future ones. Almost all students honored plan to continue their education in college, with over 60% going to a college in Iowa.

After 15 years, the award has recognized thousands of students, and it will continue to highlight some of Iowa’s brightest young minds.

Noah Lynch

News Writer