Monsignor Thomas Zinkula to be bishop

Sylvia Clubb, News Writer

Recently, a pillar in the Xavier community received news that would change his life. Monsignor Thomas Zinkula has been in consideration for the bishop position in the Diocese of Davenport for months. On April 8, Zinkula received a call from the Nuncio of Washington D.C., also known as a representative of Pope Francis, that he was being offered the position of bishop in the Diocese of Davenport. After praying about the offer, Zinkula accepted on April 19.

Zinkula has been the rector of St. Pius X Seminary in Dubuque in recent years, but has been serving in the Diocese of Dubuque for the past 27 years.

Zinkula grew up in Mount Vernon, Iowa and attended Cornell College. Throughout both high school and college, Zinkula played football. After attending Cornell, he proceeded to attend law school at the University of Iowa and serve as a lawyer for three years. When he was 28, he felt a strong call to the priesthood and entered the seminary. Zinkula served throughout Cedar Rapids, along with serving as pastor in parishes throughout Dubuque. Zinkula has been described as goofy,  full of joy, and humble.

“The best compliment given to any bishop is that he’s going to be a pastor,” Fr. Dustin Vu said. “Being a pastor means to be a shepherd of his community, and Monsignor Zinkula will be a wonderful shepherd to his diocese.”

The current bishop of Davenport, Martin Amos, has served in that position for 11 years. Every year, all bishops are asked to send names of local priests they believe have strong qualifications for potentially filling a position as bishop. Pope Francis reviews the list and completes an investigation and background check of  the proposed candidates. Once there is a need for a bishop, Pope Francis and his assistant look over the list of proposed candidates and pray about the decision. Pope Francis then chooses the person best fit for the job requirement. The position in Davenport opened up when  Amos requested retirement.

“I’m a little anxious but a lot excited,” Zinkula said.

Zinkula’s installation will be held on June 22 at St. John Vianney Church in Bettendorf.

Sylvia Clubb

News Writer