Girls’ soccer has high expectations

Hannah Williams, Sports Writer

The Xavier girls’ soccer team has high expectations to start the streak again. The girls had an eight-year state champion streak, starting in 2006 and ending in 2013. The new head coach, Chris Higgins, has brought new hope to the team. Coach Higgins is also a coach at Mount Mercy and has an extensive background in soccer.

The girls won their first game of the season on April 4 against Waterloo West by  a score of 3-1. They fell to Cedar Rapids Washington on April 11 by a score of 0-2.

Many of the girls have been working in the offseason. Some of them played for a club team in the fall and winter, while others got together to work out. The team started in February with circuit training, which consisted of rotating through eight exercises for an hour.

“In the fall, I had practices and tournaments with my club team, F.C. United, and in the winter we had workouts twice a week,” junior Paige Diebold said. “I also played with the Iowa ODP team, going to practices and tournaments throughout the winter. Our team at Xavier had circuit workouts February-March, and I have also spent time working on shooting, juggling, fitness, and foot skills.”

The Saints are led by senior captains Ellie Fischer, Addy Hoffman, and Melody Snow. These seniors are using their prior experience to work toward leading the team to the state tournament.

“I am going to be a communicator on and off the field, whether this be through communicating with my coaches, talking to my team about improvements we need to make that I am able to see from the goal, or collaborating with the other captains about ideas for the upcoming games or plans for team bonding,” Snow said.

The Saints play tonight, Thursday, April 20 at Prairie High School.

Hannah Williams

Sports Writer