Spring play preview

Elizabeth Janney, A&E Writer

As an audience member, it is unusual to have a part in a play. However, in Murder’s in the Heir, the audience is arguably the most important member of the cast. Audience members choose the killer in this audience-interactive, murder- mystery comedy. The Xavier High School Drama Department, directed by Ms. Sarah Hayes, will present Murder’s in the Heir April 20-22 in the Regis-LaSalle Theatre at 7 p.m.

“I learned a lot last year,” Ms. Hayes said. “This show in particular is a lot of fun because there are di erent endings. The show changes every night, and the cast has about ve minutes to prepare after learning who the murderer will be.”

The plotline of the play starts with various characters gathering together for the reading of a will. Then, murder strikes. Each character has a motive and a weapon. It is comparable to the game Clue, but the audience votes on the killer during intermission. There are 14 cast members and various technical positions held by students. Auditions were held in late February, and cast members have been practicing ever since.

Senior Sam Rohret plays Mike Davis, head detective in Murder’s in the Heir. Rohret has been in seven different Xavier productions.

“It’s a lot of fun,” Rohret said. “It’s not too well-known, so there is some mystery. The interaction between the audience and the cast members is really cool.”

Tickets for the show will be available for purchase at the door before the performances. Adult tickets are $6, and student and senior tickets are $4.